Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blog #3: Pre-Writing for Personal Essay

As soon as we started taking notes about the personal essay, I started thinking about what I should write about. I honestly don't think anything exciting has happened in my life that will pass the "So What" test. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure how they will turn out.

My first idea is to write about my Granny. My Granny was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in November of 2012. She didn't decide to tell anyone until about the following April. She moved in with us a few months before she was diagnosed, so we lived together all throughout her suffer. I believe that this changed me because I learned how to set my emotions aside and take care of my Granny first and foremost. I most definitely think that this made me mature a lot over the year. I don't know, however, how to connect this to other readers. I don't know if I can make it pass the "So What" test.

My second idea is to write about how I was diagnosed with diabetes. I don't really like this idea because I was only four years old when I was diagnosed, so it's hard for me to remember what all happened. I know this is a big thing that happened in my life, but I don't know how to make it invoking to other readers.

I want to write about my Granny, because I know I can add a lot of detail about her and how I took care of her. I can even start writing the essay in my head. I just don't know how to make it important to other readers so they will want to keep reading.

1 comment:

  1. I think both topics could be good, but the first one would make a really touching story. It may not seem like your audience would directly think much of it since it isn't happening to them, but I think they could relate to someone they care about who has suffered from sickness. I know I could with my own personal experiences.

    If you appeal to the emotion of the situation and give lots of details, I think it could turn out to be something worthwhile to read from others. Perhaps contrast it to how other teenagers may never have had to experience something like this and how it has given you perspective on life with regards to maturity and maybe the fragility of life.

    I would definitely go with this one. Give it some thought, do some writing, and see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete